Saturday, September 4, 2010

Day 1 - San Francisco

I finally arrived in San Francisco, ready to start my California Dreamin' tour. Today was "arrival and explore on your own day" and that's exactly what I did. San Francisco is an amazing city, but as I learned today it's also one of surprises and challenges. Being spoiled by the ongoing heat in Baltimore, San Francisco's cooler temperatures just reminded me of how soon it will turn fall. San Francisco is known for its morning and evening fog during the summer months.  Today's challenge: figuring out the public transportation system. First stop: the exploratorium. It's just about the perfect science museum since it's 110% interactive - everything can be touched and explored. The heart of the exploratorium is the Tactile Dome, a completely lightless tunnel you need to walk, crawl and slide your way through. You want to make sure you touch everything so you don't risk missing the hidden items such as rubber chickens, marbels and boots. But I was even more excited about visiting Alcatraz. The audiotour leading you through all the cellblocks while providing detail on escape attempts and prison life was equipped with shockingly realistic background noises. Everytime I heard the sound of the metall doors closing I felt like one of them could trap me within a cell. A little scary but I think no San Francisco visit can possibly be complete without experiencing "the Rock"! Exploring on your own is exciting, but there are other options to spend this arrival day a little less challenging, for example on one of the Urban Adventures city tours that Intrepid Suntrek is offering. Tomorrow all au pairs will be getting together and we'll dive into the adventure.



(pictures of today will also follow tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment